Monday, September 13, 2010

What's new in bridal fashions

Over the weekend I attended the Dallas Market Center's Spring 2011 Bridal Market, and I got to view some truly marvelous new fashions.

As expected, texture is even bigger and better in the gowns for next season. Roses made of organza or chiffon, silk petals  across the bodice and layers on nearly every skirt. Pronovias' "Gaudi" from 2010 was only a taste of what is to come!




Another huge trend is the return of the ballgown. Pickups are nearly a thing of the past (thank GOODNESS), and the newer ballgowns are less Disney Princess and more Grace Kelly. Once again, textured details are abundant on these dresses. Get ready for the return of the traditional bride.

Now, my favorite gowns--the dresses that make me drool--are all the stunning lace confections that are growing more and more popular. Say goodbye to strapless and say hello to open keyhole backs, high collars and feminine lace straps. My mother, who is not a big fan of strapless dresses in church, will be pleased to see that Ivanka Trump started a beautiful trend that I for one, hope lasts.



One more thing to look out for will be short wedding gowns. Tea-, knee- and cocktail-length are all in style. Nearly every line has at least one, sometimes three or four darling little dresses in their collections. These dresses will be fantastic for that backyard barbecue, courthouse elopement or beach wedding. Just look at the detail on this Justin Alexander frock:

Accessories in recent months have been throwbacks to the past. Birdcage veils are now a staple at any bridal salon, and headpieces look like they could have come from Grandma's jewelry box. Expect that to go into overdrive this season. I saw so many beautiful hats made from horsehair, feathers and silk flowers. A lot of these show-stopping pieces may take a little bit of nerve to wear, but those brave enough to wear them will certainly be remembered.


Now I will have to admit I spent a small portion of my day stalking wedding planner David Tutera. I briefly saw him last year in Chicago while he was promoting his new line of wedding gowns David Tutera by Faviana but I didn't have the nerve to snap a picture with him. I was bound and determined to get that picture this year, but I missed him by a little less than an hour. His showroom was pleasantly surprising. His new Spring 2011 line is sure to be a hit.

I can't wait for the new dresses to hit the salons and boutiques across America in late December and early January! 


0 comments: